Deputy General Counsel
Excellent opportunity to join Betsson Group as our new Deputy General Counsel.
This role forms part of the management team of the Legal and Compliance Department, charged with the responsibility of advising the business on a range of legal, compliance and regulatory matters. The main duties are supporting the General Counsel Betsson Operations and the rest of the management team in the day-to-day decision making in all legal and compliance matters impacting the Department while leading a team of legal counsels.
The Deputy General Counsel/Head of Legal Affairs is to follow internal business developments and understand company strategy. The chosen candidate must be able to grasp the various structural and commercial arrangements entered into by the business and provide advice based on sound legal principles as well as gaming business acumen. As the representative of the team with the rest of the business, the chosen candidate must have an overall understanding of the tasks being handled by the team members in order to guide both the business and the team accordingly. Legal counsels are expected to partner closely with the business to understand complex commercial transactions and provide comprehensive and pragmatic solutions. This includes reviewing and drafting a variety of commercial agreements, negotiating them as well as identifying legal issues and providing analyses of relevant risks. This person will also have a role in overseeing the processes followed by the legal team and suggest better ways of working, where required.
The chosen candidate will work alongside the Head of Compliance, Head of Regulatory Affairs and Head of Data Privacy to advise the General Counsel on identified risks in the relevant areas. This person will also directly support the business in matters of a management nature where the General Counsel is not available.
This role is based in Malta and reports to General Counsel Betsson Operations. Travel abroad will be required from time to time.
What’s in it for you?
Life at Betsson is fast and dynamic but never dull. This position is both rewarding and challenging and can offer a person with the right attitude a perfect platform for onward career development. The role provides the opportunity for the right candidate to combine legal skills and experience with leadership of a team of 8 legal professionals as well as participation in developing the overall company strategy.
A flavour of what you'll be doing
Assisting General Counsel on a daily basis with matters of a legal or regulatory nature arising at the highest levels of the business;
- Attending management meetings to discuss salient business issues and provide legal or regulatory advice on the same, as required;
- Advising on, negotiating and drafting various complex agreements on behalf of the business;
- Overseeing the day-to-day work of the legal team to be able to identify any possible gaps or risks which need to be addressed, and then address the same;
- Developing templates and processes in order to ensure optimal ways of working, ensuring that the legal department provides an adequate service to the rest of the business;
- Identifying training and development needs;
- Managing relationships with external legal counsel as required;
- Collaborating with persons responsible for other key areas within the legal department namely compliance, data privacy management and regulatory affairs;
- Advising General Counsel on identified legal risks on both the external and internal fronts
- A law degree from a reputable European University and a warrant to practice law in at least one European jurisdiction;
- At least 7 years’ experience in negotiating, drafting and closing complex commercial transactions in a similar environment;
- At least 5 years’ experience working within a gaming regulatory environment;
- Experience as a people manager, having held the position of Head of or equivalent previously.
You are good at:
- Understanding business risks and assessing them from a compliance perspective in a dynamic working environment;
- Taking pragmatic business decisions;
- Prioritisation of tasks under pressure according to business needs;
- Communicating both verbally and in writing in the English language and in business-related matters
- experience in litigation
Please fill out the following form. After you have completed your application an email will be sent to you with relevant information.