I’ve been with Betsson for nine years. The great thing about this company is that something new is always happening. You never get bored.
At Betsson Group we strive to deliver the best customer experience in the industry. We offer online gaming products in a number of markets, both through our own gaming sites such as betsson.com, betsafe.com, nordicbet.com as well as several partner brands. We are a dynamic and growing company with more than 1700 passionate people of over 45 different nationalities. Most of us work in the operational Head Office in Malta but we also have other offices around the world, such as: Stockholm, Tbilisi, Tallinn, Budapest and London.
The Development Manager is responsible for the productivity, management and resourcing of the Frontend Engineering department in Malta, as well as managing cross site initiatives and standard when the need arises. The Development Manager role facilitates the delivery of high quality software, keeping the teams on track, engaged and efficient, as well as focusing on managing stakeholder expectations and relationships within and between teams.
The main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Daily management of development team leads (people management), including:
- Guide, Coach and mentor software engineers.
- Development talks.
- Salary Reviews.
- Performance evaluation.
- Competence improvements.
- Vision and Objective setting in line with the Head of Engineering.
- Drive key retention and recruitment initiatives to hire in the best engineers and keep them engaged and focused.
- Build relationships between development teams, development centers, product owners, and business units.
- Work with other resources to manage cross site initiatives such as:
- Align teams on working best practices.
- Align recruitment across locations, including job descriptions, capabilities, process and acceptance criteria.
- Alignment of development, qa and team lead role and responsibilities.
- Career path for technical resources.
- Automation adoption.
- SDLC optimisation, tooling, and metrics.
- Project level management of cross-team dependencies and large scale product initiatives (Status, Testing, Release Planning etc.).
- Recruitment of all open positions within frontend development in Malta, including sourcing and managing 3rd parties and consultants, both remote and onsite.
- Administration of recruitment, travel requests, opex/capex reporting, budget proposals.
- Working with team leads, establish and monitor KPIs and SLAs for delivery, operations and performance.
- Identify, sponsor and drive process and SDLC initiatives across teams.
- Monitor supply chain and cycle time through the SDLC.
- Ensure process impediments to functional delivery are addressed and removed. Facilitate deep dives into delivery practices to highlight and eliminate impediments.
- Ensure Root Cause Analysis are performed, Retrospective and Continuous Improvement mindsets are adopted by all teams.
- Facility technical innovation, collaboration between teams and guide decision making between the teams and the architectural owners.
- High level management of functional and technical deliveries from the teams, ensuring there is free flowing information between Team Leads, Product Owners and key stakeholders.
- Provide status updates to stakeholders, monitor for early warning indicators in the agile teams.
- Establish and sponsor the adoption of software development standards and processes along with best practices for delivery and smooth operations of frontend products.
- Ensure resource allocation is aligned with business, product and employee goals.
- Get your hands dirty when the need arises, directly managing teams during absence.
- 5+ years leading, mentoring and collaboratively working with senior technical resources.
- 5+ years hands-on software development experience.
- Ability to work remotely with technical teams spread through Europe.
- Proven ability to identify and attack areas of risk within the development, document and present this along with solution proposals, and rolling out processes and standards to address quality concerns.
- Expertise in software development methodologies, and appropriate tool-sets.
- Expertise in scaled agile working from a single backlog (i.e. LeSS, SAFe).
- Well versed in Agile, Scrum, Kanban and competing methodologies and when best to apply.
- Ability to discuss, defend and sell best practices to non-direct reports (governance), react to criticism and factor in feedback to plans.
- Experience applying quality and productivity metrics in an agile environment to improve software quality.
- Use of Issue Tracking (Jira), Code Review (Bitbucket), Code Quality (Sonar) tools.
- Experience introducing and optimising automation to multiple teams (BDD, TDD).
- Understanding of test strategy, optimisation and hold a quality mindset.
- Ability to learn and keep current with industry approaches, frameworks, and paradigms, including self-learning and company sponsored improvement.
- Ability to work autonomously in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- Passion for continual improvement, developing products and delivering business value.
- Experience working with frontend and customer facing products.
- Experience working with scalable, fault tolerant, and highly available micro-service and event driven architectures, particularly the management of dependencies and growth.
What we offer
We offer a fun and challenging role in a collaborative and dynamic environment. For the right person there are many different career paths at Betsson, both if you want to deepen your technical skills or work with leadership in the future.
Apply now via our career site.
At Betsson we like differences. It’s clear for us that we benefit from diversity and that we as a company become stronger and more competitive when hiring people with varying backgrounds, experiences and cultures.
Please fill out the following form. After you have completed your application an email will be sent to you with relevant information.