- Malta: Betsson Experience Centre
Legal Counsel – Payments
Excellent opportunity to join Betsson Group as our new Legal Counsel.
Your role as a member of the Betsson Group Legal Team will involve working closely with the rest of the organisation, providing practical and commercially-focused legal advice and support. You will be reviewing contracts, interpreting legal requirements and effectively communicating these to the business and external stakeholders. You will be working closely with the rest of the Legal Team and will provide support to the Compliance team and rest of the business, particularly the Payments team as well as other teams and business areas as needed.
International travel may be required. You will be based in Malta and report to the Legal Business Partner for Customer Operations.
A flavour of what you'll be doing
- Partnering closely with the rest of the organisation and taking responsibility for the structuring, reviewing and drafting of a variety of payment and payment-related services (e.g. KYC services) agreements and documents relating to payment transactions involving Betsson Group’s business;
- Negotiating directly with payments providers on drafting contracts and ongoing contract management;
- Advising and counselling the rest of the organisation on payment-related legal matters associated with their commercial operations, with an emphasis on integration of complex and advanced payment processing tools; more generally, you will be responsible for identifying legal issues, providing analysis of legal risks and creating and implementing solutions structured to achieve business objectives efficiently;
- Providing assistance, where necessary, in the underlying commercial negotiations with the providers of payment processing and other payment-related services (e.g. KYC services
You're good at
- You are a qualified lawyer (law degree/LLM from a reputable European university) and you have 4+ years of relevant experience in the payments sector area, either as a legal counsel for a global payments services provider, in-house legal counsel with experience in reviewing and drafting payments contracts in an international setting or external legal counsel working with payments contracts and set-ups within a reputable law firm with international exposure;
- You have good knowledge of the payments industry, both in terms of regulation as well as commercial practices.
- Providing practical guidance to an international business, project management and handling complex legal issues and you can demonstrate experience in this;
- Negotiating, drafting and closing complex commercial transactions and providing quick, concise, and practical legal advice and to problem-solve as pro-actively and commercially aggressively as possible;
- Adapting to a fast-paced and pressurized environment, with an ability to act decisively; you are a self-sufficient individual with excellent interpersonal skills, as well as able to work in a tightly knit team supporting others when needed;
- English – excellent command of both written and spoken.
- Dual-qualification – common and civil law jurisdiction;
- Admission to the Bar in one or more jurisdictions within the European Union;
- Additional experience in the IT, E-Commerce and/ or online gaming sector.
What’s in it for me?
You get to be at the sharp end of the business and the organization heavily depends on you and your advice. The legal and compliance department is a highly trusted function in our company. You will join a highly skilled and tight knit team in a fun environment with people from different backgrounds.
Much like riding a rollercoaster, sometimes life at Betsson can be lightning fast with twists and turns but always fun! We recognise it may not be for the faint-hearted, but if you’re a go-getter, initiator and adrenaline junkie, always striving to push the boundaries and challenge yourself, then you’ll fit right in.
Please fill out the following form. After you have completed your application an email will be sent to you with relevant information.